As you might already know, we have some pretty aggressive plans for our garden this year! Part of those plans include growing our own seedlings from seed. I love Baker’s Creek seeds, and have used them for several years now. I ordered seeds back in January so they’d be ready to go when we were ready to plant. Due to the sheer number of seedlings that we’ll need to grow, it occurred to us: we won’t have space for all of these seedlings in our house! Enter: my first very own greenhouse!
Designing the Greenhouse
Carrie designed our greenhouse herself. We had several things in mind when designing our greenhouse. The things we wanted were:
- use recycled materials that we already have on hand (thus further reducing costs)
- easy to construct
- we also wanted to be able to tear it down, store it, and put it back up in the fall to extend the growing season
I also requested that I be able to stand up in it. I guess I’m particular like that. One quiet Sunday, Carrie drew up her plans on graph paper. A couple weekends later, we had some (slightly) warmer weather, so she got to work on her plans!
Greenhouse Materials list:
- 3/4 inch PVC pipe (we used this because we had a bunch of it laying around)
- 2×3 boards (cheaper than 2×4’s, and fine for this use)
- Clear plastic sheeting
- Wooden stakes
Building the Greenhouse
The first step was to cut to size and fit the PVC together.
The main structure of the greenhouse would be eventually formed out of PVC. Carrie made five of these.
The base of the structure was made of 2×3 wood boards. Parker was able to help with this part. We decided to place it in an area where we knew it would get full sun, and the ground was somewhat level. You can see here how they are using rebar and wooden stakes to ensure that the base would be level. Later in the construction, the PVC would also fit over the ends of the rebar sticking out of the ground.
Then, the two ends of the greenhouse were built, using more of the 2×3 boards. The end that is pictured was designed to later also have a door.
Once both ends were constructed, the PVC forms are attached to the frame. The weight of the greenhouse roof is further supported by lengths of PVC, attached at both the peak and at the tops of the greenhouse “walls”, where it turns at a 45 degree angle to become the roof. It really looks like a greenhouse, now!
We then cut some of the clear plastic sheeting to size, and carefully covered the greenhouse. Carrie used a staple gun to attach the sheeting to all of the 2×3 wood boards.
Carrie also allowed for the greenhouse door, covering that in plastic as well. She trimmed it out a bit to reduce heat loss, and added a handle that we just happened to have laying around.
Finally, Carrie built some low shelves for the plant flats to eventually sit on, so that they’re up off the ground.
I’m really happy with the results and we can’t wait to actually use it!!